When you click on some suspicious links or download stuff from unknown sources, you put your computer in danger, as doing this, it can get affected by harmful malware. Zeus is one kind of a trojan. In case your system has been affected by one, this Zeus virus removal guide will help you remove it from your computer system.
What Zeus Malware Actually Is?
The Zeus malware is the virus that tries to steal your secret information from your computer. Zeus virus particularly aims in stealing your financial details (banking details) such as – your bank account number, password and credit card number.
How Does Zeus Virus Work?
Zeus virus is a Trojan. In case you don’t know what a Trojan is, Trojan is malicious software that you may accidentally come across while downloading anything. You will think that you are downloading something really safe but actually aren’t.
The main intention of such software is to blackmail you and steal money from you through unethical means. Trojans are slightly different from viruses. Viruses spread to other computers but Trojans try to steal money from direct sources. They are designed to download other viruses or malware to create more problems for you and your computer.
Zeus Trojan can even install ransomware into your device and this ransomware is able to encrypt all your files. The hackers who design these ransomware then demand money from you in exchange for unlocking them.
How Can Zeus Enter Your System?
There are various ways for Zeus trojan to get into your computer. The most common ways are listed below.
- When you download an application or program from unreliable sources (such as- torrent files ). Also when you download free software from unreliable sources, Zeus Trojan can get into your computer.
- Some emails include infected links and when you tap on it and open it, it becomes very easy for Zeus trojan to get into your computer system.
- Besides that, when you click on ads that appear on suspicious websites, the chances of getting Zeus Trojan increases.
How to Understand that Your System Is Affected By Zeus Trojan?
There are symptoms, experiencing those, you will be able to understand that your computer is affected by Zeus and is in a dangerous state. The symptoms are listed below.
- You will get to see some new malicious programs in the background. And these malicious programs are the reason behind numerous crashes and blue screens of death.
- Zeus trojan increases the frequency of pop up ads and sponsored links while browsing.
- You will notice your firewall has suddenly stopped working for no reason.
The symptoms are exactly the same in the case of an Android smartphone.
Note: It becomes very difficult to recognize which trojan you are infected with. So you are suggested to run an antivirus software scan daily on your computer for safety.
How to Remove Zeus Virus from Your System?
As you know how harmful Zeus Trojan can be, you should immediately take action when you get to know that your system is affected by Zeus Trojan. Zeus Trojan removal can be very easy if you follow the instructions given below.
Method 1: Run Rkill for Terminating Zeus Fake Windows Process
Rkill is basically a program that tries to terminate all the malicious processes that are linked with Zeus. To download and run the Rkill program, follow the instructions given below.
- Visit Rkill’s official website and download the Rkill program by tapping on the link shown there. And wait till the installation process is finished.
- Once it is properly installed, you will have to double-click on the Rkill program. This will stop all the malicious programs from running.
- Now, Rkill is active and running in the background, So wait for the scanning process to complete.
- All the malicious programs will stop working after the scan is done. Rkill will even generate a log after the scan.
Note: You should not reboot or restart your computer right after running Rkill or the malware programs will start again.
Method 2: Run Malwarebytes to Eliminate Zeus Trojan
Malwarebytes is known for its good work and is a very well-known anti-malware software. It has the capability to destroy such malicious software that other antiviruses miss out. And the best part of it is that it is available in both free and premium versions. In the free version of this application, you will be given 14 days of free trial and after that, it will be your choice whether to switch to the premium version or not. The premium version of Malwarebytes includes real-time scanning and specific protection from ransomware. To download and run the Malwarebytes application, do the following:
- Visit the official website of Malwarebytes and tap on the download link to download the application. Wait for the download to complete.
- After it is downloaded, double tap on the “mb3-setup-consumer-x.x.x.xxxx.exe” file in order to install the Malwarebytes application. You will get to see the downloaded files in the Download folder.
- Now, Malwarebytes will ask you whether you are willing to allow Malwarebytes to make changes in your PC. A user control popup will appear to your screen and ask this. Simply tap on Yes and continue with the installation.
- When the Malwarebytes installation process will start, you will get to see the Malwarebytes Setup Wizard on your screen. This setup wizard will mentor you through the installation process. Now, tap on Agree and Install button to install Malwarebytes into your PC.
- Once the installation process is completed, you will see Malwarebytes is automatically starting and updating the antivirus scan. Now hit the Scan Now option. This will enable Malwarebytes to scan your system and find out if your system has got any malware or not.
- Be patient and wait for the scanning process to complete. Malwarebytes can take a few minutes to scan and identify adware or the malicious programs that exist in your system.
- When the installation process is finally finished, you will get to see a screen that will show you up the list of malware detected in your computer or the malware that was detected through the scanning process.
- Now all you have to do is eliminate the malicious programs that Malwarebytes detected. Click on Quarantine Selected to remove the harmful programs.
- Tapping on the Quarantine Selected button, Malwarebytes will be able to remove all the malicious files and programs and registry keys that it has detected while scanning. After this when Malwarebytes will ask you to restart or reboot your computer, do that.
Method 3: Take Help Of the HitManPro to Scan the Zeus Trojan
HitMan Pro can be another option if you choose not to scan your computer system with Malwarebytes. HitMan Pro has a cloud-based approach towards malware scanning which is very new. When you run HitMan Pro on your system, it literally scans the behavior of the active files.
While scanning, if it detects any suspicious files, it sends that malware to its cloud. So that it can be scanned by two of the most efficient antivirus engines in today’s world. These are- Kaspersky and Bitdefender. Having said that, HitMan Pro is not free to download and you will have to get the premium version of HitMan Pro at an annual subscription.
- To download the HitMan Pro application, all you have to do is, visit the official website of HitMan Pro and tap on the download link first. Wait for HitManPro to download.
- When the download process is done, you will have to double-click on “hitmanpro.exe”. This link is for the 32-bit version of Windows. For the 64-bit version of Windows, double tap on “hitmanpro_x64.exe”. Clicking on this link, you will be able to install the HitMan Pro anti-malware software on your computer. Search for the Downloads folder to reach the downloaded files.
- Again you will be shown up with a User Account Control pop up. That will ask you whether you want to allow HitManPro to make changes to your computer. Simply click on Yes and continue with the process.
- After completion of the installation, you will get to see the start screen of HitMan Pro application. All you have to do is click on Next to run a system scan.
- When you click on Next, HitMan Pro starts scanning your system for viruses and malware. The scanning process can be time-consuming so don’t be frustrated with the process and interrupt in between.
- Once the scanning process is finished, you will notice a list of malware will appear on your screen. The malware or suspicious files are those that HitMan Pro has detected while scanning. Now, click on Next to proceed.
- Now look for the Activate free license option on the screen and click on it. Clicking on this option will enable you to begin the free 30 days trial and also you will be able to eliminate the malicious files or programs from your system.
- Close the application when the virus removal process is complete.
Method 4: Run the Zemana Anti Malware Free to Remove Unwanted Programs
The last method in this Zeus virus removal guide is running the Zemana Anti Malware application to get rid of the Zeus trojan. Zemana Anti Malware software is a very popular malware scanner. To download and run the Zemana Anti Malware software, follow the instructions provided below.
- First, visit the official website of Zemana AntiMalware, click on the download link and wait for the downloading process to complete.
- Once it is downloaded, you need to double click on the setup file which will be named as “Zemana. AntiMalware.Setup. Exe” . Tapping on this link will start the installation process.
- A User Account Control screen will pop up on your screen and ask for your permission whether you want to allow Zemana AntiMalware software to make changes to your system. Click on Yes and continue with the installation.
- Now, tap on Next to install the Zemana software on your system. You will have to follow the onscreen prompts to complete the installation.
- When the Selected Additional Task window will appear on your screen, you will have to opt-out of the “Enable Real-Time Protection” option and click on Next.
- Now Zemana will initiate and you will have to click on the Scan icon to perform the system scan. Zemana will then scan and detect if your system has got any suspicious malware or not. This process can take a few minutes so wait and don’t interrupt the scanning process.
- After the scanning completes, it will present you with a list of malware that it has detected. You will have to tap the Next option now.
- Clicking on Next will enable you to remove all the malicious files from your system. After the virus removal is completed, Zemana AntiMalware may ask you to restart or reboot your device. Do that.
How to Prevent My System from Further Zeus Trojan Attack?
It’s not enough to remove the virus from your system. You should make sure that your computer is safe and protected from harmful malware. Keeping your computer safe is very easy if you follow these tips:
- Keep your PC up to date by installing the latest version of your system OS.
- You should scan your computer on a regular basis. So that your computer is safe and you get instant news in case your computer is attacked by Trojans or malware like Zeus.
- Be very careful while browsing. Do not tap on any suspicious links or ads. Try not to download anything from unreliable sources.
- Also, you need to keep your anti-malware software updated to the latest version so that they work the best for you.
Zeus virus can be very dangerous if you don’t eliminate them in time. They steal sensitive information from your PC and you can get into big trouble. With this Zeus virus removal guide, you can get rid of the malicious softwares and enjoy working on your PC without any problems.