If you detect a program named Chromium on the system that you haven’t installed then it is fairly possible that your PC might be infected by a browser hijacker.
Chromium is one type of legitimate open-source web browser project. It has an open-source code and that has made it unstable. Due to its presence, the Chrome browser gets overwritten. This is where the program gets identified as a virus.
This virus can replace the original shortcuts with fake ones. When this virus gets installed on the device, it will simply lead you to a different web browser’s default home page. You will also notice an increase in advertisements and the PC will become slow too.
Thus, you need to know the potential methods to remove Chromium virus at the earliest with the help of the instructions that are mentioned below.
How to Get Rid of Chromium? Instructions to Follow
If you find that the Chromium virus is present on your PC, then you need to first locate it and make sure to uninstall it.
Below discussed are the effective solutions that you can implement on your own to remove the Chromium virus.
Instructions to Remove Chromium Virus from Windows 8 and 10
If you are using Windows 8 or 10 OS then go through the steps mentioned hereunder to remove Chromium virus.
- First, go to the lower-left corner of your PC to click on the Start button.
- After that, make sure to click on the Control Panel option. Sometimes, you might not find this option. Then, go to the search bar to locate this option.
- Now, you need to locate the “Programs and Features” option.
- Next, go to the “Uninstall a Program” to choose Chromium or other suspicious applications that you recently installed.
Remove the Chromium from the Mac OSX
If you are a Mac user, then perform the following steps to remove Chromium from your device. Therefore, carefully perform the steps that are mentioned below:
- At first, go to the bottom left of the screen to click on the “Finder”.
- Then, go to the left menu to choose the “Applications”.
- Use the Search function in order to find the Chromium app.
- After that, you have to drag the app to the Trash bin.
- Finally, you need to right-click on the Trash to choose the “Empty Trash” option.
Alternative Steps to Remove Chromium Virus from Your PC
Here are the steps that you can implement to remove the Chromium virus from your computer.
- First, head over to the Control Panel to select the “Uninstall a Program Function”.
- Now, you have to look for Chromium and other unfamiliar entries.
- Make sure to uninstall Chromium by clicking on the Uninstall button.
Additional Methods to Remove Chromium Virus from Windows
If you don’t know how to remove chromium virus from your windows device, then perform the following steps.
Method 1: Make Sure to Enter the Safe Mode (Optional)
You can remove Chromium Virus by resetting your device in Safe Mode. When you are trying to remove this manually, then you should be patient as this process might take hours. You need to keep in mind that during this process the system might be damaged.
Method 2: Search the Unwanted Processes
Press the Ctrl, Shift and Esc keys at the same time on the keyboard and then go to the Processes Tab. Try to determine which processes are dangerous by right-clicking on each of the files.
Thereafter, choose “Open File Location” and then scan the files. Now, make sure to end the processes that you find, then you need to delete their folders.
Method 3: Remove the Chromium Virus from the Start-Up Location
If you don’t know how to remove this virus from the start-up location, then go through the steps mentioned below:
Press and hold the Start key and R at the same time on the keyboard. Now, make sure to enter “appwiz.cpl” and then click on the OK option. Next, go to the search field to enter “msconfig” and then hit the Enter button. After going to the Control Panel look for suspicious entries and then try to uninstall them one by one.
Now, go to the Startup to uncheck entries. Hold the Start Key and R to copy and paste the following “Notepad %windir%/system32/Drivers/etc/hosts”. After that, click on the OK option.
Method 4: Perform the IP and DNS Settings
Now, you will find that a new file will open. If the system is hacked then you will notice that a bunch of other IPs are connected. Open the Search menu in order to search the Network Connections and then press the Enter button. After that, perform the following steps properly.
- Right-click on the Network Adapter, followed by the Properties option.
- After that select the Internet Protocol Version 4 and then click on the Properties.
- In order to obtain the DNS server automatically, make sure to set the DNS line. You can even set it manually.
- Now, go to the Advanced to click on the DNS tab. If you find anything, then remove that and then click on the OK option.
Method 6: Perform REmoving Chromium Virus from All Browsers
Go to the Windows search bar to enter “Regedit” and then make sure to hit the Enter button. Now, press the Ctrl and F key at the same time on the keyboard. Next, type the threat’s name and then right-click and delete any entries that have a similar name.
Hopefully, after performing these steps successfully you will be able to remove Chromium virus without any hassle.