Most of the users have encountered this error condition where the Malwarebytes stuck on checking for updates while installing or updating this software. When this problem occurs, the Malwarebytes stops the scanning process and the situation can become very annoying.
This problem can be caused due to various reasons, which include outdated Malwarebytes software, an older version of the Operating System, Internet connectivity issues, corrupted programs, etc.
How to Fix when Malwarebytes Stuck on Checking for Updates
Below, we have listed some easy and effective procedures that will help you to get rid of the situation where Malwarebytes stuck on checking for updates window.
Procedure 1 – Install Latest Version of Malwarebytes
An outdated version of the Malwarebytes can be the reason why Malwarebytes is stuck while checking for updates. Therefore, it is important to keep the software up to date. To update it, follow these steps given below:
- Launch the Malwarebytes application.
- In the Malwarebytes window, go to the Settings section on the left panel.
- From the Settings window, select the “Applications” tab.
- Click on the “Install Application Updates” button under the “Application Updates” section.
Once the update process is done, restart your computer and then check if the problem still arises or not.
Procedure 2 – Uninstall Additional Security Software
Sometimes, when another security software is installed on your PC, you may find Malwarebytes checking for updates stuck in between the process. So, you need to remove it by following these steps:
- Press the Win + I buttons together to launch the Settings window.
- Double-click on the Apps section and then go to the “Apps & Features” tab on the left panel.
- Scroll down the page and you will find other third-party security software, so click on it.
- After that, select the “Uninstall” button.
Once the uninstallation process is complete, reboot the device and then try to run the Malwarebytes software.
Procedure 3 – Update the Operating System
If the Operating System has been outdated, you may find the Malwarebytes scan stuck on checking for updates window. Therefore, it is necessary to keep the system up to date. The following steps will help you with this:
- Press the Start + X buttons to open the WinX menu list and click on the Settings icon.
- When you are in the Settings window, navigate to the “Update & Security” section and then select the “Update” tab on the left navigation panel.
- Thereafter, click on the “Check for updates” button for the available updates.
- If the update is available, then click on the “Update” button.
After completing the update process, the computer will automatically apply the updates in it.
Procedure 4 – Allow Malwarebytes Using Windows Firewall
Another effective procedure by which you can solve this problem is to allow Malwarebytes to execute through the Windows Firewall. So, go through these steps hereunder:
- Open the Control Panel window and navigate to the Windows Firewall section.
- Thereafter, click on the “Allow an app or feature through Windows Firewall” button on the left panel.
- On the right window, click on the “Change Settings” option.
- Click on the Allow another app and choose the installation folder for Malwarebytes to add it.
- After performing this, click on the OK option to save the changes.
In case, this method doesn’t resolve the issue, delete the current version of Malwarebytes and reinstall it.
Procedure 5 – Reinstall the Malwarebytes Software
Sometimes, the corrupted Malwarebytes software can trigger the situation where Malwarebytes checking for updates stuck. Therefore, you should remove it and then reinstall the program. Here are some steps that you can follow:
- Press the Start button and choose the Control Panel.
- In the Control Panel window, navigate to the “Programs & Features” section.
- Scroll down the page until you find the Malwarebytes software, then select it.
- After this, click on the “Uninstall” option.
- So, after uninstalling the antimalware, restart the device and install it.
- To reinstall it, visit the official website of the Malwarebytes and download and install the latest version of the Malwarebytes software.
Once the installation process is complete, reboot the Windows computer and check if the problem is gone or not.
Procedure 6 – Check the Internet Connection
Due to the poor Internet connection, it may fail to check the updates for Malwarebytes and generate this issue. So, you need to check if the Internet connection is working properly or not.
If you are using a router or the system is connected to the Internet, you can simply restart the routing device.
However, if you are using an Ethernet cable, then disconnect and reconnect it to check if the issue is solved or not.