McAfee has obtained a pretty trash reputation among the computer users but not rightfully. But, it is slow as well as uses a lot of memory and consumes CPU like no other, it covers nearly 1 GB of disk space.
Additionally, it often behaves like adware and makes it quite difficult to uninstall the program. So, if you also stuck with the same problem and unaware of how to uninstall McAfee, then here are the steps that you can perform.
Easy Steps to Uninstall McAfee Antivirus on Mac:
Here are discussed some easy methods that can help you to uninstall the McAfee antivirus program on your Windows 10 PC. In addition, some similar steps for Windows 7 and Windows 8 are also included.
Hence, perform them carefully:
Method 1: Using Settings/Control Panel
You can uninstall the McAfee antivirus program easily from the Control Panel or Settings of the system.
For Windows 10:
- First, go to the Start menu and click on the Settings (gear-shaped) icon.
- Navigate to the Apps section under the Settings Window.
- Now, go to the search box and then type “mcafee”. Now, click on the McAfee antivirus program showing as the search result.
- Afterward, tap on the Uninstall button.
- Confirm the action by clicking on the Uninstall button once again.
- Next, confirm that you wish to continue if it asks for admin permission.
- Now, wait for a few seconds and once you complete the uninstallation process, exit from the Settings window.
Lastly, restart the computer to apply the changes.
On Windows 8:
- At first, navigate to the Start menu to see the list of programs that are installed on the system.
- Then, right-click on the McAfee antivirus program and select the Uninstall option from the list.
- It will then open the ‘Programs and Features’ window. Now, choose the McAfee product that you wish to remove from the computer.
- Tap on the ‘Change/Uninstall button from the pop-up box and confirm it by clicking on the Uninstall button once again.
- Give the needed permission and wait for a few seconds until the process completes.
Now, restart the system to save the changes.
On Windows 7:
- In the beginning, open the Control Panel by going to the Start menu.
- Then, click twice on the ‘Add or Remove Programs’ tab.
- Now, choose the McAfee antivirus program that you wish to remove.
- Next, tap on the ‘Change/Remove’ or ‘Add/Remove’ option.
- Click on the Remove button from the pop-up box to confirm the action.
- Afterward, provide the required permission to uninstall the program.
Once the program is uninstalled, you can reboot the computer.
After performing the above steps, if you see that the McAfee antivirus program is still activated on your computer, then you can move on to the other ways stated below.
Method 2: Using the McAfee Removal Tool
You can also uninstall the McAfee antivirus program by using the removal tool. Here’s how to do this:
- First, visit the official website of McAfee and then search for the MCPR Tool.
- Once you complete the downloading process click twice on the ‘MCPR.exe.’
- Now, tap on the Yes option, and then the Continue/Run button from the Security warning box.
- Afterward, tap on the Next button from the next screen.
- Now, check the Agree box from the ‘End User License Agreement (EULA)’ window.
- Type the Security captcha on the specific field on the ‘Security Validation’ screen.
- Tap on the Next button to continue.
- Thereafter, wait for a few seconds until the program removed from the system.
- Once you get the ‘Removal Complete’ message, click on the Restart button.
On startup, check whether the McAfee antivirus is uninstalled or not.
How to Uninstall McAfee from a Mac Computer?
If you are a Mac user, then you can follow the below methods to uninstall McAfee antivirus:
Using the ‘McAfee Internet Security Uninstaller’ App:
You can uninstall the McAfee antivirus program easily by using the ‘McAfee Internet Security Uninstaller’ app. Here are the steps you can follow to do this:
- First of all, Open the Applications folder by going to the dock.
- Afterward, launch the ‘McAfee Internet Security Uninstaller’ application.
- Tick the box that prompts ‘Uninstall SiteAdvisor’ to remove the add-on of the McAfee browser.
- Then, tap on the Continue button and then enter the admin password. Click on the OK button.
- Once the uninstallation process completes, tap on the Finish button to complete the process.
If the above methods failed to uninstall the McAfee antivirus program from the system, then you can follow the below steps to do this:
- First, click on the Spotlight icon by going to the upper-right pane of the screen.
- Type “terminal” in the search bar and click twice on the ‘Terminal’ option to open it.
- Once it opens the Terminal window, enter the command “sudo/Library/McAfee /cma/scripts/uninstall.sh” and then press the Return key from the keyboard.
- Now, you will be prompted to enter the admin password. Now, hit the Return key after entering the password.
- Afterward, follow the on-screen guidance to proceed.
Once the McAfee antivirus program uninstalled successfully, restart the system to apply the changes.
Hopefully, the above hacks will help you to uninstall the McAfee antivirus program from the Windows 10 PC.