Win32:Malware-gen is a harmful malware that affects the Windows Operating System and is recognized by AV engines under various titles. Basically, it identifies the trojan horses that have the ability to perform several tasks.
This includes stealing personal details, modifying Windows system files, routing users to suspicious domains filled with tech support scams or intrusive ads. Further, installing other malware without any acknowledgement of the user is also inclusive of this malware’s capability.
So, the appearance of this malware on your computer may lead to loss of financial information, encrypted files, identity theft, diminished browsing experience as well as several other malicious activities.
Thus, it’s essential to remove this malware from your computer. If you are unaware of how to remove it then you can go through the section hereunder carefully.
6 Easy Hacks to Remove Win32:Malware-gen
The best way to remove this malware is to run the in-built antimalware program of the system. But, if it fails to detect the Win32:Malware-gen malware, then you can also remove it manually.
Here, we are going to provide recommendable methods that can help you to remove it from your computer. So, you can perform the ways described below:
Way 1: End its Process from the Task Manager
You can remove it easily by ending the process of the Win32:Malware-gen malware from the Task Manager. In order to do this, you can perform the steps as follows:
- First of all, press the Ctrl and Esc key by holding the Shift key from the keyboard to open the Task Manager.
- Once it opens the Task Manager window, navigate to the Processes tab.
- Next, locate the Win32:Malware-gen malware and right-click on it.
- Choose the ‘End Process’ option from the list.
- Lastly, you can exit from the Task Manager window and restart the system to apply the changes.
Now, you can check if this malware is removed from the system. Else, you can perform the next solution to get rid of this malware.
Way 2: Delete Registry Entries
You can also remove this malware by deleting the registry entries. Here are the steps you can follow to do this:
- In the beginning, open the Run Command box by pressing R and Windows key simultaneously from the keyboard.
- Then, type “regedit” in the input field. Press the Enter key from the keyboard to open the Registry Editor window.
- Select the ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Win32 malware.gen’ entry from the left pane of the Registry Editor window.
- Right-click on it and then choose the ‘Delete’ option from the list.
Note: If you are unable to locate the registry entry, then navigate to the Edit tab and choose the Find option from the list. Then, type “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Win32 malware.gen” in the search box. Click on the ‘Find Next’ icon. As a result, you will see the registry entry.
After deleting the registry entry, you can exit from the Registry Editor Window. Afterwards, restart the computer to apply the changes. Now, if you see that the malware still persists, then perform the other ways provided below.
Way 3: Delete Files from the Start menu
According to some users, they have removed it easily through the Start menu. So, you can give it a try.
To do this, first, navigate to the Start menu. Then, type “win32 malware.gen.exe” in the search bar. Once it shows ‘Win32 malware.gen.exe’ option as the search result, right-click on it.
Next, choose the Delete option from the list. Now, you can perform a system restart to save the changes. Now, check if the malware is removed.
Way 4: Reset the Browser to its Default Settings
If you are facing any problems with the Win32:Malware-gen malware while browsing, then the browser settings also might be the reason behind this problem. So, you can reset the browser to its default settings to get rid of this malware.
How to Reset Google Chrome Browser?
- First of all, open your favoured web browser on your computer.
- Then, click on the More icon and choose the Settings option from the list.
- Go to the bottom of the next window and tap on the ‘Show Advanced Settings’ option.
- Navigate to the ‘Reset Settings’ section and then click on the ‘Reset Settings’ button.
- After that, click on the Reset button from the ‘Reset Settings’ pop-up box.
How to Reset Internet Explorer?
- In the beginning, open Internet Explorer.
- Then, tap on the gear-shaped icon from the upper right pane of the screen.
- Afterwards, choose the ‘Internet Options’ option from the list.
- Navigate to the Advanced tab from the pop-up box. Then, click on the Reset option.
- Go to the ‘Reset Internet Explorer Settings’ section and tick the ‘Delete Personal Settings’ box.
- Next, tap on the Reset button.
- Now, you can close the browser window.
After resetting the browser, you can check if the malware still persists on your computer. If it is, then try removing it by using Safe Mode.
Way 5: Using Safe Mode with Networking
You can run the system in Safe Mode to remove this malware from your computer. Here’s how to do this:
- First and foremost, press the Power button from the Windows login screen and tap on the Restart button by holding the Shift key from the keyboard.
- Click on the Troubleshoot option from the Startup window. Then, click on the ‘Advanced options’ button.
- After that, tap on the ‘Startup Settings’ option and then click on the Restart button.
- Once the system is active, choose the ‘Enable Safe Mode with Networking’ from the ‘Startup Settings’ screen.
Now, try to remove the malware by performing one of the 3 ways described earlier. If it fails, then perform the next solution as your last resort.
Way 6: Restore the Computer
After trying all the above hacks, if you are unable to remove Win32:Malware-gen, then you can perform a restore of the computer. Here’s how to do this:
- First of all, perform the first 3 steps from the previous solution to run the system in Safe Mode.
- Once it redirects you to the ‘Startup Settings’ window, click on the ‘Enable Safe Mode with Command Prompt’ option.
- Next, type “cd restore” in the command line and hit the Enter key from the keyboard to run the command.
- Thereafter, run the command “rstrui.exe”.
- Once a new window comes up, tap on the Next button. Then, choose the Restore point that is prior to the infiltration of Win32:Malware-gen malware.
- Now, tap on the Next button and then click on the Yes button to start the restoring process.
After completing the restoring process, you can check if the malware is removed from your computer.
The above 6 solutions are the most effective methods through which the Win32:Malware-gen malware can be removed. We hope, after implementing the above ways in their appropriate order, it will help you to get rid of this malware.