Windows Defender is one of the most trusted built-in antivirus software to protect the device from inside. It keeps away all the unwanted malware but, you can face issues while using this application. Windows Defender Error Code 0x8050800c is one of them.
You may get this error when you try to launch Windows Defender. Sometimes, when you turn on this antivirus, you will be promoted to delete other antivirus programs in the device and hard to find.
This error indicates that Windows Defender is conflicting with another antivirus software. Here, we are discussing some possible reasons behind this error and its fixes.
Reasons Behind Windows Defender Error Code 0x8050800c on Windows 10
If you are getting this error, you need to know the valid reasons behind it. We are listing below some of those:
- Not updating the Windows system for quite a long time can cause this error.
- If there is any corrupted system file in the device, this error can be triggered.
Irrespective of the reasons that are restricting Windows Defender to turn on, you must fix it at the earliest. For that, you need to move to the next section where we are mentioning some of the effective methods to get rid of it.
Fixes to Resolve Windows Defender Error Code 0x8050800c in Windows 10
This section consists of the stepwise procedures to fix the Windows Defender error, so you can turn it on again.
Method 1: Update Windows
Not updating Windows for a long time can lead you to this specific error 0x8050800c. In that case, you need to update Windows immediately to fix the issue. To do that, you need to go through the below-mentioned steps:
- Go to the Start Menu. From there, go to the “Settings” section.
- Tap on the “Update & Security” option to check if there are updates available in Windows.
- Now, tap on the “Windows Update” option. Next, tap on the “Check for Updates” option.
- The system will now start scanning the available updates. It might take a while.
- You will now see the list of the updates, tap on the “Install Updates” option.
Once you are done with updating the Windows system, restart the device. Now check if you have solved the error or not.
Method 2: Run SFC
If there are any corrupted system files on the device, then you can face issues while turning on the Windows Defender. In that case, you need to repair the system files to fix the error.
According to many users, by running the System File Checker you can repair the corrupted system files that are restricting the Windows Defender. To run system file checker in Windows 10, you need to implement the below-mentioned steps:
- In the search box, write “Command Prompt”. Then right-click on the “Command Prompt” from the searched result.
- Choose the “Run as Administrator” option from the drop-down menu.
- Thereafter, write “sfc/scannow” in Command Prompt (Admin) window. Hit the “Enter “ button next.
Now, the system file checker will start to detect the corrupted files that are causing this error. After scanning the system files, SFC will automatically replace those corrupted or damaged file with a fresh copy.
Now, after repairing the corrupted files, check if you have solved the error. If the error still persists, you need to move to the next section.
Method 3: Use Periodic Scanning Tool
In Windows Defender, there is a feature of the Periodic Scanning tool. If this option is enabled, then you can face issues while turning on the Windows Defender. In that case, you need to disable the Periodic Scanning in Windows Defender. To do that, you need to try the below-mentioned steps:
- Press and hold both the Windows and “I” keys together. This will open the Windows Settings.
- From that window, tap on the “Update & Security” option.
- Now, search for the Windows Defender application and tap on it.,
- Thereafter, slide the toggle under “Periodic Scanning” to “Off”.
Now, open the Windows Defender application and tap on the “Turn On” option. After disabling the Periodic Scanning tool, check if you have solved the error. If not, it is suggested to proceed to the next section.
Method 4: Perform a Clean Boot
If you are still unable to turn on the Windows Defender on Windows 10, then there might be some issues in the Operating System. In that case, you need to clean boot the device.
It will help you to diagnose and troubleshoot Windows related issues including error 0x8050800c. To apply this solution, you need to follow these instructions:
- In the Windows search box, write “msconfig”. Hit the Enter button next.
- This will open the System Configuration window. From there, go to the “Services” section.
- Now, tap on “Hide all Microsoft services”, then click on the “Disable All” option.
- Go to the ‘Startup” tab. Choose the “Open Task Manager” option from there.
- Choose the item that appears on the “Task Manager” window. Thereafter, tap on the “Disable” option.
- Now, close the “Task Manager” and move to the “Startup” tab. After this, tap on the “OK” button and restart Windows.
After performing a clean boot in Windows 10, you will be able to turn on Windows Defender without this error code.