Several Windows 10 users reported that they are encountering the Windows Defender error code 0x80070422 while trying to enable this service.
This error comes along with the error message:
“The service couldn’t be started. The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it”.
Due to corrupted Windows registry keys, this error may arise. Furthermore, if you have any third-party security programs installed on the system, then it may conflict with Windows Defender and trigger this error.
Fixed: Windows Defender Error Code 0x80070422
There are several ways to get rid of this error. You can perform the hacks in their respective order as given below:
Fix 1: Using Registry Editor
If you are facing this error due to registry keys, then you can solve this by using Registry Editor. To do this, you can follow the steps mentioned below:
First of all, open the Run command box by pressing the R and Win key both at the same time from the keyboard. After that, type “regedit” in the input field. Hit the Enter key from the keyboard to open Registry Editor.
Now, navigate to the directory ‘HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE’ from the left pane of the Registry Editor window and tap on the ‘SYSTEM’ button. Afterward, click on the ‘CurrentControlSet’ option. Tap on the ‘Services’ option.
Go to the Services section and right-click on the ‘WinDefend’ registry key. Choose the ‘Permissions…’ option from the list. Navigate to the Advanced tab and choose the ‘Owner’ option from the list.
Choose your account name by going to the ‘Change owner to:’ section. After that, tap on the Apply and then the OK button to proceed. Now, go back to the ‘Permissions…’ tab and navigate to the ‘Group or user names:’ section.
Next, scroll down and go to the ‘Permissions for Administrators’ section. Thereafter, check the Allow box in front of the ‘Full Control’ option. Tap the Apply and then the OK button to proceed.
Next, tap on the ‘WinDefend’ registry key from the left pane of the screen. It will display its contents in the right pane of the screen. Now, search for the registry value ‘Start’ and click-twice on it. Replace the ‘Value data’ field with ‘2’ and tap on the OK button.
Once you complete the above steps, you can exit from the Registry Editor window. Then, try to start Windows Defender once again and check if the problem is fixed. If no, then apply the next method.
Fix 2: Disable the Third-party Antivirus Programs Temporarily
Third-party security programs like firewalls, anti-malware, or antivirus programs can often conflict with the Windows Defender. Hence, if there are any third-party antivirus programs installed on the system, then you can disable them.
How to Disable Third-party Antivirus programs?
To disable the third-party antivirus programs, you can perform the steps as follows:
- In the beginning, go to the system tray and right-click on the Antivirus Program icon.
- Choose the ‘Disable’ option from the list.
- Afterward, select the duration for which you want to disable the antivirus program.
Note: Here, you need to select the least amount of time. For example, it’s better to set the duration for 15 minutes or 30 minutes.
- After choosing the time duration, you can try to open Windows Defender and check if the issue is resolved.
- Now, open the Control Panel by using the combination of the X and Win key.
- Next, navigate to the ‘System and Security’ tab and tap on the ‘Windows Firewall’ option.
- Go to the left pane of the screen and tap on the ‘Turn Windows Firewall on or off’ option.
- Lastly, choose the ‘Turn off Windows Firewall and restart your PC’ option.
Once the computer restarts, you can try to open Windows Defender. Otherwise, you can move on to further ways described below.
Fix 3: Set the Windows Defender Service to Run Automatically
Another major reason for this error is this service is not running when you are trying to use this. In that case, the solution is quite simple, just set the Windows Defender service to run automatically.
How to Set the Windows Defender Service to Run Automatically?
- First and foremost, open the Run command box by pressing Win key and R both at the same time from the keyboard.
- After that, type “services.msc” in the box. Then, hit the Enter key to see the list of services.
- Now, search for the below services by scrolling down the list of services under the services window:
- Windows Defender Antivirus Network Inspection Service
- Windows Defender Antivirus Service
- Windows Defender Security Center Service
- Click-twice on each of them and confirm that the startup type is set to ‘Automatic’. If you see that the services are not running, click on the Start button to proceed.
- Afterward, tap the Apply button followed by the OK button.
- Lastly, restart the computer to apply the changes and check if the Windows Defender error code 0x80070422 is fixed, otherwise reset the computer.
Fix 4: Reset or Refresh the Computer
Another solution that can help you to eliminate this error from the system is to reset the computer. To do this, you can perform the steps stated below:
- First, open the Settings by pressing the I and Win key simultaneously.
- Next, navigate to the ‘Update & Security’ category.
- Afterward, click on the Recovery tab from the left pane of the screen. Then, tap on the ‘Get started’ option under the ‘Get started’ section.
- Choose the ‘Keep my files’ option from the next screen. Now, complete the process by following the on-screen prompts.
- Wait for a few times until the system restarts.
After restarting the system, try to run Windows Defender service. If you see that it is still not running, then you can create a new user profile to get rid of this error.
Fix 5: Create a New User Profile
The Windows Defender error code 0x80070422 also may occur due to the corrupted user profile. Thus, you need to create a new one.
To do this, first, go to the Start menu and click on the Settings (gear-shaped) icon. Then, navigate to the Accounts category. Afterward, choose the ‘Family & other people’ option from the left pane of the screen.
Now, tap on the ‘Add someone else to this PC’ button. Next, tap on the ‘I don’t have this person’s sign-in information’ option. Thereafter, select ‘Add a user with a Microsoft account’ option. Type your desired user name in the specific field and tap on the Next button.
Once you complete the process, you can switch to it and check if the error is fixed.
After implementing all the above hacks, if you see that the error still persists, then this indicates that there are certain corrupted system files on the system. So, run the SFC tool to repair them.
To run this tool, you need to open Command Prompt with admin privilege and then run the “sfc/ scannow” command. Wait for a few seconds until the scanning process is complete.
Afterward, close the Command Prompt and restart the system to apply the changes. Now, the Windows Defender error code 0x80070422 won’t appear any further.