When you are trying to enable the Windows Defender feature on your system, but it fails then you might get the Windows defender error 0x80073b01 on the screen. On encountering this error code, the Windows Defender Firewall feature does not work properly.
This error code comes with an error message that says “An error has occurred in the program during initialization. If this problem continues, please contact your system administrator. Error code 0x80073b01.”
This error mainly comes up when there is an interference between another security software that you have and Windows Defender on the system. Sometimes, corrupted system files, an outdated version of the Operating System, malware infection, temporary files can also lead to this error code.
Exceptional Procedures to Resolve Windows Defender Error Code 0x80073b01:
When you receive the error code 0x80073b01 on your device, you need to try to reboot your computer. Sometimes, rebooting the device can fix various problems that you have encountered in your system.
If the error code still persists after rebooting the device, then you can try to fix the Windows defender 0x80073b01 by following the undermentioned procedures.
Here, we have provided all the effective and useful procedures that can help you out to solve this error code on the Windows system.
Procedure 1 – Remove Another Third-Party Security Software
Sometimes, third-party security software can block the Windows Defender feature from enabling. So, you should remove it at the earliest. To know more about it, follow these steps hereunder:
- Press the Windows Home button and I key together to launch the Settings window.
- From the Settings window, go to the Apps section and select the Apps & Features tab.
- Scroll down the page until you find another third-party security software, select it.
- Thereafter, click on the Uninstall button.
- Once the uninstallation process is complete, restart your computer and then check if the error code still occurs or not.
Procedure 2 – Run the System File Checker Tool
The System File Checker tool is a built-in tool for Windows. With the help of this tool, you can easily fix the Windows defender 0x80073b01 on the device. By using this tool, you can run a full scan of your computer. The following steps will help you to do so:
- Press Win + X buttons to launch the WinX menu list and select the Command Prompt (Admin).
- Once you are in the Command Prompt window, type SFC/scannow and then press the Enter button.
- It will take a few seconds to finish.
- Once the scanning process is done, reboot your device and then check if the issue has been solved or not. If the problem still appears, then follow the next one.
Procedure 3 – Perform the DISM Tool
If the System File Checker tool does not help you out, then you can try to perform the DISM tool. By performing the DISM tool, you can easily solve this error code on the Windows PC.
- Open a Command Prompt window.
- Type “DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth” and then hit the Enter key from the keyboard.
- Once it is executed, restart the computer and then check if the Windows Defender works properly without any error code.
Procedure 4 – Use the Registry Editor
Using the Registry Editor, you can easily fix the Windows Defender error code 0x80073b01 on the device. Go through these directions:
- Press the Windows Home button and R key at the same time to launch the Run box.
- Type Regedit and then hit the Enter button or click on the OK option.
- When you are in the Registry Editor window, go to the following path HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/WindowsNT/Current Version/ImageFileExecutionOption/ and then remove the msseces.exe entry by pressing the Delete button on the keyboard.
- After that, go to the following paths HKEY_CURRENT-USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current version/Policies/Explorer/DisallowRun and then remove the msseces.exe entry by pressing the Delete key from the keyboard.
- Once you are done with these steps, restart your computer and then check if the error is gone or not.
Procedure 5 – Remove the Temporary File
If the system is full of the temporary file, then you can come across the Windows defender 0x80073b01 on the device. Therefore, you need to remove it by following these directions as cited below:
- Press Win + R keys to launch the Run box.
- Type %temp% and then hit the Enter key or click on the OK button.
- From the Temporary folder, select all the items and then press the Delete button from the keyboard to remove them.
- After removing them, try to enable the Windows Defender feature on your PC.
Procedure 6 – Reinstall the Windows Defender
Another effective procedure is to reinstall the Windows Defender. If you do not know how to do that, then follow these steps stated below:
- Press the Windows Home key and R button to launch the Run dialog box.
- Type C:\Programs Files and then select the OK option or hit the Enter button.
- From the Programs Files window, locate the Windows Defender folder, right-click on it. After that, choose the Delete button and then click on the Yes option.
- Once it is removed, you can download it from the official website of Microsoft.
- After downloading this file, install it properly.
- Once the installation process is completed, restart the computer and then check if the error is eliminated or not.
Procedure 7 – Update the Operating System
After performing the previous procedures, if the error still occurs, then you can try to resolve the error code by updating the Operating System. To update it, follow these steps as given below:
- Press the Windows Home button and click on the Settings icon.
- In the Settings window, double-click on the Update & Security section.
- Select the Update tab on the left panel.
- From the Update tab, click on the Check for updates button for checking available updates.
- If you find any updates, then click on the Update button to begin the update process.
- Once the process is finished, the device will automatically restart.
These are the procedures to get rid of the Windows defender 0x80073b01 on your Windows computer.