While trying to update McAfee security software, many users complain of confronting update failures which may or may not appear with an error message. However, the error message goes like
“McAfee cannot update your software. Please check your Internet connection. If the problem continues, please contact Technical Support.”
This entire situation is both frustrating and concerning at the same time. However, it could be resolved by implementing some solutions.
What to Do if Mcafee Antivirus Won’t Update?
Starting from a poor internet connection to the IP address, the causes behind such scenarios can be numerous. Besides, there are various methods to resolve this problem easily. Here we have mentioned some of them for you below
Solution 1: Run McAfee Diagnose & Repair Tool
McAfee Diagnose & Repair Tool is an outstanding repairing tool that helps to solve problems that are correlated with McAfee. You need to run this tool by following the steps given below sequentially.
- Go to the official website of McAfee and look for McAfee Diagnose & Repair Tool.
- Click on Download and Run and save the file to your system.
- Once it gets downloaded, double click on it. Follow the prompts appearing on your screen.
- If prompted to allow the applications to make changes within your device, click on Yes.
Solution 2: Switch to an Alternative Internet Connection
Many times the McAfee won’t update due to poor internet connection and thus it is better to replace it with a better internet connection. You can connect to the internet via ADSL/DSL, cable, and hotspots. After switching to a more reliable alternative, see if it gets updated now. If it does, then make sure to inform this issue to your ISP and resolve it gradually.
Solution 3: Renew IP Address
IP Address can be another reason behind the inability of McAfee to be updated. If such is the case, then follow the steps given below orderly.
- At first, right-click on the Network and Sharing (or WiFi) icon on your taskbar.
- Click on Diagnose and Repair or Troubleshoot problems.
- Now, allow the Network Troubleshooter to complete and then click Close.
Solution 4: Install McAfee again
If none of the solutions mentioned above work for you, then maybe McAfee is beyond repair. In such cases, it is better to reinstall McAfee and check if the problem resolves. Here is how you can do so.
- Go to Start and then click on Computer.
- Type McAfee in the search bar of the computer menu box and press Enter.
- Select McAfee Security Center from the list and click on “Add or Remove Programs” situated at the left of the Computer menu box.
- Select “McAfee Security Center” and then click Remove. After that, you will see a box with Remove or Reinstall options. Make sure to click on the Reinstall option.
- Once done, click on Ok and then Finish. After some time, McAfee will reinstall.
- Reboot your system after the reinstallation process.
We hope the solutions provided above would help you resolve the McAfee won’t update issue and now McAfee will update successfully.