There are various reasons responsible for which McAfee won’t open on your computer. One of the main reasons behind this problem is the corrupted McAfee installation. If the virus has stopped the running of executable files, then this might restrict McAfee to open. Apart from that, if the McAfee antivirus service is not running properly, then also you will face the same issue.
If you are struggling with the same problem, no need to worry. There are several effective fixes that you can implement to resolve the problem.
How to Resolve McAfee Won’t Open?
In order to resolve McAfee won’t open issue, follow the instructions given below and apply them accordingly.
Fix 1: Repair McAfee
If you find anything wrong with the McAfee installation, then the McAfee might not open on your device.
You can easily resolve the problem simply by repairing the McAfee antivirus. To do this, follow the instructions given below.
- Before proceeding to any steps, you need to make sure that you are logged in with the administrator account.
- After that, press the Start menu and then move to the Control Panel section. Thereafter, click on the View as: Category which is available in the top right corner of the Control Panel window.
- Next, click on the Programs section and then choose Uninstall a Program option. Now, search for the McAfee antivirus from the list.
- Further, right-click on the McAfee antivirus and then select the Repair option from the drop-down menu.
Thereafter, click on the Next option to complete the process. A confirmation message will appear on the system screen. Select the OK button.
When the process is done, restart the system and if the problem gets resolved or not. Otherwise, move to the next section.
Fix 2: Restart the System
After clicking on the McAfee icon a couple of times and still if it fails to open, then try to restart the system. Simply close all the tabs that are running in the background. Now, click on the Start button and then select the Restart button.
Due to this, the system will automatically shut down and open after a few moments. Now, again try to open the McAfee antivirus on your device and check whether it is opening or not.
Fix 3: Run SFC Scan
According to the users, the problem might appear due to the corrupted system files. Hence, you need to check the system files. To repair the damaged system files, Windows has launched the System File Checker tool. You need to run this tool in order to delete the corrupted files.
Hence, to run this, go through the steps mentioned in the section below.
- First of all, press the Start button and then type ‘cmd’ in the search bar. Now, right-click on the cmd icon and select Run as Administrator from the drop-down list. Due to this, the Command Prompt will open as an admin.
- Now, type ‘sfc/scannow’ in the command window and hit the Enter button.
- It will automatically start to scan your device and locate the damaged system file. Then, click on the Delete button to remove the files from your device.
When you are done, try to open the McAfee antivirus on your device and check whether it is opening or not.
Fix 4: Reinstall the McAfee Antivirus
If the above method fails to resolve the McAfee won’t open Windows 10 problem, then the last option is to uninstall the McAfee from your device and reinstall it again with the updated version.
To do that, follow the steps mentioned in the section below.
- First of all, press the Start button and then move to the Control Panel section. After that, navigate to the Programs and Features section.
- Here you will find all the applications installed on your device. Locate the McAfee antivirus from the list and right-click on it.
- Thereafter, select the Uninstall option from the list. Click the OK button when the confirmation message will pop up on the system screen.
- Wait until the uninstallation gets over. Now, open a web browser and move to the official website of the McAfee.
- Later, locate the McAfee antivirus which is compatible with your device and download it on your device. Save the downloaded file in a particular folder.
- When the downloading process gets over, close the web browser and move to the folder. Now, double-click on the file to install it on your device.
It will take some time to complete the installation process. Now, you can easily open the McAfee antivirus on your device.
Undoubtedly, these are top-notch solutions that you can apply in order to fix the McAfee won’t open problem.