McAfee error x5485 generally occurs due to damaged or missing software or vital files within your system. Apart from that, users are very likely to confront this error due to an incomplete installation of McAfee antivirus.
No matter what the causes behind such error, McAfee error x5485 affect the working ability of the device and as a result, it may not run smoothly.
How to Troubleshoot McAfee Error x5485?
Although there are numerous causes behind this error, you can acquire an easy fix by following some of the causes that are listed below.
Method 1: Run McPreInstall Tool
McAfee error x5485 can occur due to temp files and cookies within your system and thus it is important to get rid of them by using the McPreInstall tool. To download run this tool, follow the steps given below.
- Go to the official website of McAfee and download the McPreInstall tool.
- After downloading it successfully, look for the file which might be situated in the Downloads folder most probably.
- To start the setup, right-click on Pre-Install_Tool.exe and then click on open.
- Once the UAC prompts, click on Yes.
- Now, click on Start to start the scanning of the system. Wait until it’s completed successfully.
- After that, the “Ready for Installation” message will appear on your screen. Install McAfee again and see if the installation issue resolves.
Method 2: Fix Domain Name System (DNS)
It is very likely to be affected by this error if the Domain Name System or DNS is slow. Hence, for such cases, switch the network to the public server by following the steps given below.
- Open Control Panel and select Network and Internet.
- Click on “Network and Sharing Center” to see the adapter setting.
- Select Change Adapter Settings and click on the active network from the list to open its status.
- Go to Properties and checkmark Internet Protocol Version 4. Click on Properties again.
- Mark the “Use the following DNS server addresses” box and enter your preferred and alternate DNS server address. The address relies upon your preference and thus it can be free DNS addresses like
Google Public DNS addresses: 22.214.171.124 and 126.96.36.199
OpenDNS addresses: 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206
- Click Ok and see if the error resolves.
Method 3: Run an SFC Scan
Corrupted files can result in these errors as well and thus it is important to run an sfc scan for an easy resolve. Here are the steps you need to follow to run an SFC scan.
- At first, press the Windows key and type command prompt or cmd within the search bar.
- Right-click on Command Prompt and run it as an Administrator. Now, enter the password.
- Type sfc/scannow and then press Enter.
Method 4: Update Windows Operating System
There are chances that this error might occur due to an outdated Windows Operating System and thus to resolve it, make sure to update your Windows Operating System. To do so, follow the steps given below.
- Go to Start and type update within the search bar. Click on “Check for updates” or “Windows Updates”.
- Click on Check for updates and wait for some time so that Windows can see any updates for your system.
- If you are prompted with any message for important updates, click and select it for installation.
- Within the list, click on important updates and mark the boxes for the updates you want to install. Now, click on Ok.
- Lastly, click on Install updates.
Method 5: Perform a System Restore
If the problem still persists, even after following the methods listed above, then make sure to perform a System Restore through the steps cited below.
- Go to Start and then choose All Programs.
- Now, Go to Accessories>System Tools>System Restore.
- Click on “Restore my machine to a previous time” and then Next.
- Select a Restore Point and click on Next.
- Lastly, click Finish.
We hope the solutions mentioned above would help you resolve the McAfee error x5485 quickly.